Monday, July 20, 2009

First Day Home Alone...

Today is my first full day home alone with my two girls. It's only 10am, but things are going well so far. I may be checking back in this afternoon saying something completely different. :)

I've been getting nasty emails about not updating :), so I'll try to let you all know what we've been up to for the last two weeks. Things have actually been going pretty well. The first week was a little crazy because we were in the hospital for two days and then had to go to the doctor three times by the time she was a week old. Audrey lost about 12% if her body weight in the first 4 days. It took us a couple of days to get nursing down well and then my milk didn't come in until Thursday (she was born Monday). I really wasn't too concerned because I thought she would do fine once my milk came in. I had enough with Ava to feed 3 babies! We went to the doctor on Thursday and she weighed 5 lbs. 9 oz. By Saturday morning, she weighed 5 lbs. 11.5 oz.. On Monday morning, she was already up to 5 lbs. 15.6 oz. Needless to say, she was thriving once she actually had something to eat. The other concern was her biliruben level. It was rising while we were in the hospital, so the doctor wanted us to be checked by our pediatrician the next day. She was looking a little yellow, but he didn't check her level on Thursday. On Saturday, he checked her blood again and her level was 14.4. He had us put her in the sun a couple of times a day over the weekend. By Monday, she looked a lot better and we could tell her levels were on their way down. He said her face and eyes would be the last thing to clear up and her eyes could take 2 weeks to look completely normal.

She has done great her second week! She is actually two weeks old today. It's already gone by too fast. Audrey is eating every 2-3 hours during the day and cluster feeding just like Ava at night before bed which means she may eat every 1-2 hours for about 3 sessions before she goes to bed around 11:00-11:30pm. Of course, we've had our rough nights like every new parents, but for the most part she is sleeping 6-8 hours. She was very sweet to me last night and slept 8 hours (well, actually 7 since it took her about an hour to eat and get back to bed). She woke up about an hour before Ava, so by the time I got done feeding and changing her, Ava was up for the day. It still was a really good night.

Ava is doing absolutely great!!! She is such a good little helper. Of course, she is needing a little extra attention, but she has adjusted really well to Audrey. She is really excited to have Audrey at home with us and loves telling people she is a big sister! She is so good with her and gives her the softest kisses. I really need to get it on video. I want her to be able to see how sweet she was to her sister when she is older.

I think I have a few people who read my blog who are pregnant right now, so I have to share one of my favorite baby products. Actually, it is a life saver when you are completely sleep deprived. I bought mine off of a website called Mom 4 Life. Here is the link: http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=20
I have the midnight blue bracelet which actually looks black. You can track what time your baby last ate by moving the charm around on the bracelet. It is also super easy to move back and forth on each wrist so you know which side you started nursing on last time. I bought it when Ava was a newborn and it still looks great! I took it off to go to church yesterday and I was completely lost. I literally can't remember anything these days. Anyway, just thought I would share. :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad things are going well! I hope the rest of your first day alone with them went well. And I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT TWO KIDS WHO SLEEP WELL. It's just not fair to the rest of us! ;-)

And I LOVED my nursing bracelet as well...a lifesaver when I couldn't remember anything at all! I love you, sis, and miss you so much!





Designed By:

Elements by Laura.