Thursday, June 04, 2009

33 Weeks and 2 Days (yes, every day counts!!)

Okay, I guess it is time for an update. I always have good intentions, but somehow my blog never gets updated. I have a bunch of pictures I need to upload, so I may just have some picture only posts here pretty soon.

I wanted to update everyone on my appointment yesterday. I've emailed out the same thing a million times. I need to start updating on here first and then just sending people my blog link. :)

Okay, here it goes. This will probably be very long. Yesterday, I had an ultrasound/biophysical profile and appointment with my midwife. The point of the ultrasound was mainly to check my cervix but also to check Audrey's growth because of Ava's growth restriction. The good news is that my cervix is still holding strong and overall Audrey looked good. They found one thing on the ultrasound that they are really concerned about.

They checked the cord blood flow via doppler during the ultrasound. They checked it over and over and over again, so I suspected there was a problem. I'm not quite sure what the numbers mean, but they want the number from that to be less than 3. I had many readings over 3 and one of 2.9. My midwife said my placenta looked good as far as calcification, aging, etc., but this shows that it isn't functioning well which is exactly what happened with Ava.

She said they wouldn't take the baby now because she still looked good on the ultrasound. I go back next week for another ultrasound and biophysical profile as well as a non-stress test. She said she'll continue the non-stress tests weekly until I deliver. A non-stress test is where they monitor both the baby's heart rate and my contractions for an hour. They want to make sure the baby's heart rate is accelerating during movement and not dipping really low like Ava's was at 36 weeks. This just gives them a better look at the baby instead of the 20 minutes they look at her on the ultrasound.

The main concern right now is that Audrey won't get what she needs and will lose weight, not mature correctly (mainly lungs), suffer from hypoxia, etc. Again, all the things that happened with Ava. She said I have to be very careful to make sure she is moving throughout the day. If at any time she becomes less active, she wants me to call her immediately. She gave me her personal cell phone number so I won't have to waste time going through the answering service.

The non-stress test results are good for a week. If she looks good on there, usually the baby will not go substantially downhill before another one can be done. My midwife is really hoping we can make it until 35-36 weeks to give Audrey's lungs more time to mature. I am praying her cord blood flow looks good next week and we don't have to discuss any of these "what-if" questions she didn't want to answer today.

I also got a very long lecture about bedrest. Kurt told her that I haven't been resting as much as I should. This is true, but I can't believe he told on me!! Anyway, she told me I can move from the bed to the couch if I need a change of scenery, but she doesn't want me up more than that. That is so different from what she said just two weeks ago. I'm doing my best, but I still have a toddler to take care of on a daily basis. You really don't realize how much moving around you do during the day until someone tells you not to do it anymore. It's so hard not to constantly pick up toys, clean the kitchen, etc.

So, that's what is going on with me right now. I would do anything to make sure Audrey is perfect and healthy, but I do not want to be induced again!! I also do not ever want to see the inside of a NICU. My midwife said that every day I can hold her in is one less day in the NICU, so that is our goal for now. We are hoping Audrey continues to thrive and will make it inside at least a few more weeks!

2 comments:

Mindi Tipps said...

You've got our prayers and I'm kind of glad Kurt told on you! :)

Jennifer said...

I so wish I was there to help you! You NEED to ASK FOR and ACCEPT help from other people!!! You cannot take care of Ava and Audrey at the same time right now!

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. I love you and am praying that Audrey will hold tight and keep growing for several more weeks!





Designed By:

Elements by Laura.