Thursday, December 14, 2006

Stairs + Pregnancy = Trouble

Well, it finally happened. I am not the most graceful person even when I am not pregnant, but I have tried very hard during pregnancy to watch where I walk, not run up and down the stairs, etc. I should have known I couldn't make it 40 weeks without an accident. I did make it to 31 weeks exactly.

Yesterday morning I was running late for work (surprise, surprise) and I had to run downstairs to let our dogs out. I only had about 5 steps left when my foot slipped off the edge and I tumbled down the rest of them. It's amazing how your first instinct is to protect your belly. I somehow managed to grab the rail and turn on my left side as I was going down. This was not as graceful as it may seem in writing. I came to a stop at the bottom of the stairs and have to admit that I just laid there for a little while.

I finally got up and called my husband to tell him what had happened. Calling the doctor had not even entered my mind at this point. I just wanted to tell him how bad it hurt. :) Of course, he was more realistic about the situation, so I called the doctor. The doctor wanted to see me immediately, and I spent the majority of the day at the doctor's office getting myself and Ava checked out.

The doctor was very nice. I really thought I was going to get a lecture about how I need to be more careful. He checked me and then hooked me up to a fetal monitor to make sure Ava was okay and I wasn't having contractions. We were both doing well, so I was sent home to rest.

Today, Ava seems to be doing fine. She is moving around like a crazy woman this morning. I am just really, really sore. My body (especially the left side) is one gigantic muscle spasm. I feel like I fell down a flight of stairs yesterday. :)

I will try to be much more careful for the remainder of the pregnancy. I don't think Kurt's blood pressure can take any more of my accidents. Kurt and I are just very thankful it turned out the way it did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all very thankful you and Ava are okay!!!
Love you,
Mom

Jennifer said...

Glad everything is okay, but sorry you're so sore!

This is why you shouldn't wear high heels during your pregnancy!! (and, yes, I know you weren't wearing them on the stairs, I'm just sayin'...)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Whew!! I'm glad to hear that everything is a-ok. Please continue taking care of yourself and Ava. =) She needs to stay put for a while longer still.

LisaN said...

Wow, that's crazy! I am so glad you two are okay!! :-)

Love, Lisa

victoria said...

so glad you all are okay.

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Also glad that you are okay! I know that was scary for all of you. Don't be too hard on yourself, I think most Moms-to-be take at least one tumble just because their center of gravity is so far off. Enjoy these last few weeks and your last Christmas alone with your Hubby for awhile! Blessings!





Designed By:

Elements by Laura.