Thursday, March 01, 2007

6 Pounds!!!

We took Ava to the doctor on Tuesday and she weighed 6 lbs. 2 oz. We were so excited! The doctor was very happy with her weight gain. He even allowed me to start nursing her full time!!! We still have to feed her every three hours and pump every other time, but no more bottles!!! I was hoping we could at least cut one thing out of our day. We now feel like we have a normal newborn.

I'm not sure if I posted it here before, but the neonatologist had told us we were not allowed to take Ava out of the house for two months. We were fine with that. Ava will be six weeks on Friday, so we thought we were getting close. At our appointment on Tuesday, her pediatrician said we cannot take her out of the house for another two months! He said we could start taking her places in May. We are so torn about this. We don't want to do anything to hurt Ava, but I am not sure I can stay in the house for another two months. Ava will be 3 1/2 months old by then. I do understand that it is flu and RSV season, but I would like to have a little bit of a normal life. We will definitely keep her in for another month, but I think we may have to make our own decisions after that. Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Ava is enjoying another first at the moment. She is taking a nap in her crib for the first time. I am a nervous wreck. I usually put her in the pack 'n play downstairs with me or carry her around in the moses basket. Needless to say I have an eye on her at all times. Right now I am in the room next to her nursery with the monitor on full blast and I keep running in there with every little sound she makes. I now know that I am definitely not ready to move her to her nursery at night. She may be in our room for several more months.

Last weekend my cousin, Melissa, her husband, Dan, and their daughter, Claire, came to see us. Claire and Ava were born exactly one week apart. It was my first time to see Claire in person. She is beautiful. Don't worry, I will post pictures at the end. It was so good to see them. I really wish they lived closer since Claire and Ava are so close in age. I can't wait to see them grow up together. Hopefully, Ava will catch up in size soon. I didn't realize how tiny Ava is until I saw Claire.

My grandmother also saw Ava for the first time last weekend. It was killing her that she wasn't able to see Ava sooner. My mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew were here too. Needless to say, we had a full house. We had a great time though. We really appreciate everyone coming to see us since we aren't allowed to travel with Ava. I should rephrase that. People don't come to see Kurt and I anymore. They are definitely here for Ava. We're lucky if we get a hello at the door before they grab Ava from us. That's okay though. We're glad Ava is so loved. I guess this is our first taste of being "Ava's parents" not Kurt and Kimberly for at least the next 18 years.

Okay, now for the pictures.
Ava and Claire

Left to Right: Melissa with Claire, Jennifer with Caleb, and me with Ava

Nana with Ava (her great-grandmother)

This is one of my favorite pictures. It looks like Ava is pulling Claire's hair and Claire is screaming.


Melissa with Ava


Ava and I


Ava

Caleb sitting in Ava's infant seat.

6 comments:

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

cute pictures, I saw some like them on your sisters blog, so I had to jump over here and see yours too. I am so glad that you have such a great supportive family. Maybe the doctor will change his mind after next month, when the flu season is over. I hope that you all can get a more normal life soon.

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad she's doing SO well!!

I love those pictures. I'm not sure what Caleb's obsession is with the infant seats...I guess we'll have to watch him when his little brother or sister comes along!

LisaN said...

You all look so beautiful and healthy, and I just praise God for that! :-)

victoria said...

what great pictures. I am sure you guys are ready for some normalcy. Kelsey was born in November so we did not take her out for about 3 months due to RSV season and flu season--I was just so paranoid but everyone does what is best for their family.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I loved the photos!! And I'm so happy to hear that Ava is growing so well. My thoughts will be with you during this 2-month wait of no outside contact.

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

My daughter found a little angel that is personalized with AVA's name at a Christian coffeeshop/cafe that we ate at tonight. Of course, we had to buy it for Miss Ava Grace. We will get it to you soon. Hope she continues to gain weight and grow so that she can come to church so we can all meet her. Hang in there!





Designed By:

Elements by Laura.